Around Tyn Lon Garage

Welcome to the village with the longest name in Europe and possibly, the world !! - Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Isle of Anglesey

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, also spelt Llanfair Pwllgwyngyll and commonly known as Llanfair PG or Llanfairpwll, is a village and community on the island of Anglesey in Wales, situated on the Menai Strait next to Menai Bridge and across the strait from Bangor.

The long form of the name is 58 letters in length. The name is Welsh for "St Mary's church in the hollow of the white hazel near to the rapid whirlpool and the church of St Tysilio of the red cave".

This village was originally known as Llanfair Pwllgwyngyll and was given its long name in the 19th century in an attempt to develop the village as a commercial and tourist centre. Today the village is still signposted as Llanfairpwllgwyngyll and is known to locals as Llanfairpwll, Llanfair PG or simply Llanfair.

Visitors stop at the railway station to be photographed next to the station sign, visit the nearby Visitors' Centre, or have 'passports' stamped at a local shop. Another tourist attraction is the nearby Marquess of Anglesey's Column, which at a height of 27 metres offers views over Anglesey and the Menai Strait. Designed by Thomas Harrison, the monument celebrates the heroism of Henry Paget, 1st Marquess of Anglesey at the Battle of Waterloo.

The Toll House & the Women's Institute Building

This octagonal building is one of three tollhouses still intact along the A5 between Llanfairpwll and Holyhead. On the outside of the building is the original table of tolls, which were last charged in 1895, by which time this was the last surviving public toll road in Britain. You would have paid a toll of 1d (one old penny) for a horse not drawing a carriage, wagon or cart, and the old toll charges can still be seen written on the side of the building:

Attached to the old toll house (just about visible in the photo above) is a corrugated iron building which was erected in 1921 and used for meetings of the Women's Institute. Llanfairpwll was the location for Britain's first ever Women's Institute. This is commemorated on a plaque on the outside of the village's WI hall.